I just realized in talking about working at the main library that this particular job had prepared me for dealing with street people. I actually don’t feel guilt or concern for the homeless people. There are many social safety net programs in place, so I know that many of these people COULD be getting help. However, many are unwilling. I pay my taxes, and we give to various charitable organizations, so truthfully I’m not giving anything more. Especially to someone wearing better kicks than I have.
It got me to thinking about every weird little job I’ve had. Which means, of course, another list. 🙂
- Babysitting — a summer gig
- Iowa State Fair — ice cream (10 days)
- Public Library of Des Moines — page (5 years)
- Farm Bureau Life Insurance Company — various positions (summers 85-90; 1.5 years)
- Egg Shell — clerk (9 months?)
- Dairy Queen — ice cream (seasonal work/summer job)
- Ovens of Brittany — counter help/baker (6-9 months)
- WHEDA (Wisconsin Housing and Economic Development Association/Agency) — microfilm technician (1.5 years)
- IDEMA (International Disk Drive Equipment & Materials Association) — receptionist, editor, web manager, Jill of all trades (5 years)
- Various Temporary Jobs — Kelly Services come to mind (off and on 2 years total)
- USA CERL — United States Army Construction Engineering Research Laboratory — accounting (6 months)
- Christie Clinic — receptionist (6 months)
- San Jose Unified School District — substitute and then teacher (10+ years)
Finally! Job 13 is a job that I can actually keep. 🙂 There’s a lot of seasonal and 6 month gigs up there. Needless to say, I’ve done a little bit of everything.